29 AV test vehicle permits were issued on Sept 16th: 25 to Google, 2 to Mercedes and 2 to Volkswagen (including the very 1st one to Audi).
The rules related to the first set of autonomous vehicle regulations:
- Mfr must register the test vehicle with DMV
- Mfr must have completed previous AV testing under controlled conditions
- Mfr uses qualified test drivers who complete a training program and obey all provisions of the Vehicle Code
- Mfr test drivers sit in the driver seat & are capable of taking immediate control of vehicle
- Mfr reports to DMV any accident involving a test vehicle or any situation where the autonomous technology disengages during operation
- Mfr maintains $5 million insurance or surety bond.